What’s that you say? More Glitter? Yes, please! This time I attempted to jazz up my old, tatty brogues. It was a bit of a challenge and not a complete success but I’m going to share it anyway. Hey, there’s nothing better than learning from other people’s mistakes.
The Kit:You need a pair of shoes. These are from New Look and are far past their best unfortunately. I also used PVA glue and a fine white glitter from Hobbycraft, a dish to decant the glue into and, of course, a glue spreader.
The steps are very simple:
- Decide which bits you want glittery. I did the middle panel, the back panels and the tongue.
- Spread a thin, even coat of PVA over one area at a time.
- While the glue is still wet, sprinkle a generous amount of glitter over and pat into the glue.
- Shake of excess glitter onto a piece of paper to reuse.
- Allow to dry before repeating. As I used fine glitter I needed 3 coats.
- Spread a thin, even coat of PVA over the glittered areas to seal. You may need 2 coats.
The main problem that I had was that I tried to do this in too much of a hurry. I applied the PVA too thickly so it dripped and has resulted in a lumpy, uneven look. I also do not recommend very fine glitter for this. Chunky glitter will give more even coverage than fine glitter. Still, they don’t look too terrible, I might be able to get away with these in a dark club. A very dark club maybe.
Better luck next time!