Mmm Gingerbread, one of the few festive treats that can be enjoyed all year round. These formed part of Laura’s birthday present as she loves them. Here’s the recipe:
To make approx 20 biscuits.
350g plain flour
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g unsalted butter
175g soft brown sugar
4 tablespoon golden syrup
Preheat the oven to 180C and grease some baking sheets.
- Mix flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda (this recipe makes soft, bready gingerbread, if you would rather have hard cookie-like gingerbread leave out the bicarb)
- Rub in butter untill it looks like breadcrumbs
- Add sugar
- Mix egg and syrup together then add to dry ingredients
- Knead for a couple of minutes (add splash of milk if it is too dry, but dont worry as it does take a couple of minutes to come together)
- Cut into shapes and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
Note on the icing – These biscuits taste yummy with some icing on the top. I use gels from Lakeland to colour my sugar icing. Normally they work fantastically and you can get a huge range of tones but as you can see from my photo, this batch looks slighlty dodgy colour wise.This is due to me not putting the icing on thick enough. All icing lightens as it dries so to get the right intensity of colour spoon that icing on thick!